Hibs blow late lead in Ross County draw as winless run continues

  • Hibernian blow 2-0 lead as wait for Scottish Premiership win extends to nine games
  • Joe Chalmers’ late goal rescues point for the visitors in stoppage time
  • Hibs had lead through second-half goals from Daryl Horgan and Scott Allan

Ross County’s late equaliser leaves Hibs winless in the league since the opening day of the season (Credit: Jack Donnelly)

Hibernian’s wait for a second league win of the season continued after Ross County fought back to snatch a late point at Easter Road on Saturday.

Hibs conceded two goals in the final fifteen minutes to draw their fourth league game in a row, which sees Paul Heckingbottom’s side remain second bottom in the Scottish Premiership table.

The first half of the match was a cagey affair, with neither team giving the other much of a chance to string any attacks together. Both teams were keen to sit back and wait for their opposition to come forward before regaining position.

The best chance of the first half came just five minutes in, after Florian Kamberi was fouled just outside the Ross County area. Melker Hallberg hit the free kick well, striking the corner of the crossbar and seeing his shot go inches over the top corner.

Jason Naismith also found himself unlucky not to open the scoring in the 18thminute after getting on the end of a ball from the left-hand side. The cross evaded everyone in the box, but Naismith ghosted in on the right, however his first-time effort sailed over the bar.

The visitors had their first chance in the 22ndminute, after Ross County captain Marcus Fraser whipped a dangerous ball in from the right-hand side. The ball fell to Billy McKay on the penalty spot, but the striker got the ball caught under his feet after attempting the first-time volley, allowing Hibs to clear.

Hibs began to up the intensity in the latter stages of the half, with the final 10 minutes being spent almost entirely in the Ross County half. Josh Vela had a good chance to open the scoring late on after some good build up play, but his effort was deflected behind for a corner.

As the second half began, Heckingbottom brought Daryl Horgan on for Hellberg in an attempt to keep up the late pressure of the first half. The substitute did just that in the 50thminute, after Vela clipped a ball over the top to Horgan, who blitzed past the Ross County backline into the box and slotted the ball past Ross Laidlaw into the bottom left corner to open the scoring.

Hibs doubled their lead in the 55thminute, after Scott Allan applied some good pressure deep in the County half. The midfielder robbed possession on the left-hand side and cut inside, running into space on the edge of the box before finishing well past Laidlaw.

Hibs continued to attack Ross County, with Kamberi and Horgan getting on the end of good chances but were just unable to finish them off. County grew into the game as Hibs continued to be wasteful and their patience was rewarded in the 75thminute, after David Graham picked up the ball on the edge of the Hibs area and fired a fantastic effort into the top right-hand corner. He almost doubled his tally just a minute later, but his free header went just wide of the bottom corner.

Ross County kept Hibs pinned back in their own half as they went searching for an equalising goal, with Hibs being incredibly reserved in trying to regain possession. Horgan did his best to try and get Hibs going again, after picking up a loose ball in the 84thminute and driving past the halfway line to be one-on-one with ex-Hibs man Liam Fontaine. He laid the ball off to substitute Fraser Murray who was quickly stopped by Fraser.

Ross County completed their comeback in the dying moments of the game, after Joe Chalmers fizzed an effort towards the near post from the edge of the box, beating Maxwell to send the away fans into a frenzy and leave the home faithful in dismay.


Leave a Reply